Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Early Appointments

I have already had a few ob appointments thus far. Because of my history with Maddy and having the severe pre-eclampsia and delivering early at 34 weeks, I am considered "high-risk." Our first appointment was called a, "confirmation appointment" with the nurse practitioner, they did a pregnancy test in the office to confirm that I was pregnant and then went over different things like prenatal, things to do and not do during pregnancy, etc.

My next appointment was the long appointment where they do your first ultrasound, yay! And then you see one of the ob's. We got there and did the ultrasound first, I was so excited and couldn't wait to see the little peanut- Matt calls this little one "peanut." So we get in there and I am sooo nervous and we very disappointed to find out that it looked like we weren't quite as far along as we thought we were. I thought I was about 6 weeks and 5 days when really I was more like 5 weeks and 5 days. We were able to see the yolk sac but she said it was still too early to see the baby. She said we would schedule another one in 1-2 weeks. I was sooooo bummed! Then we go back to the waiting room and they call me back to do the finer stick to check for gestational diabetes and the numbers were a little high so they told me I had to go to the lab next to do the 3 hour glucose test, after the ultrasound and then this I was feeling really defeated already.... Next we went into the room to meet with Dr. McIntyre.

She was so great and it felt good to meet with her! She said that the due dates were probably just off and when we came back in a week or 2 we should be able to see the little one. Also assured me that the blood work was just precautionary and didn't necessarily mean that I had gestational diabetes (which by the way it did all come back perfectly normal! yay!) I spoke with her about how I wanted to try and change my eating habits a little to eat more healthily and she said this would be fine and also talked to her about being seem by the high risk consultants and she also agreed that this would be good because of my past history.

No comments:

Post a Comment