Saturday, March 6, 2010

Where has the time gone?

Monday was Maddy's actual birthday. To celebrate Matt and I took off work and took Maddy to the Alligator Farm. I thought this would be the perfect place to go since she has been very excited whenever she sees alligators in books and stuff because she knows how to put her arms together and CHOMP! like an alligator! Anyways, so we got up early and had a great time! Maddy and I got to actually hold and pet a baby alligator and got our picture taken with it. Matt didn't want to get anywhere near him though, he isn't a fan of any type of reptiles!


It amazes me just how much she had changed in a year! I was watching her run around and talk and I thought, "Wow, this time last year she wasn't even walking yet! And now look at her!" I love the age that she is right now, I love seeing her personality develop and seeing her get excited about things but I also love the age she was when she was first born, 6 months, 1 year, 1 and a half. . I think every stage has it's great moments and I am just enjoying where she is as we go! My friend Kelli made this little collage and I think it's so precious!
Yesterday I took Maddy to her 2 year well visit at the pediatrician. She is doing so great! She's in the 50th percentile for her weight she weighs 25 almost 26 pounds and in the 95th percentile for her height! She's a tall little girl! She didn't have to get shots which I was very happy about and is right on schedule for everything developmentally! I did talk to the doctor about my concerns with her speech/language being a little behind and she agreed that I should continue with Early Steps for their full evaluation on Tuesday. Her receptive language-actually understanding things is really good but it's still the expressive language I'm concerned about although she has been talking ALOT more lately!!! : )

What can I say except I adore my little 2 year old!!!

2 comments:

  1. 1. I adore that little blue peacoat. sooooo sweet.

    2. happy birthday! sorens is coming up in a few days, too!

    3. can you tell me how much talking she is doing? we took soren to early steps at 16 months and he dint qualify for services. He passed the tests but they did acknowledge that the tests didnt really require him to use expressive language or actually speak & they did say it was unusual (at the time) for him not to be trying to talk. He is trying ot talk now, and he does. But he is more like where an 18 month old would be. Always about 6 months "behind". He certainly isnt making sentences or using 3 word sentences.

    We are happy to get two word sentences (which are very rare) he uses a lot of single words but they arent too clear and still there are so many he doesnt attempt to say depsite understanding them.

    How she? What did they say last time.....or are you just now going back?

    I was supposed to get back with them around age 2 if he wasnt up to speed. I thought he was doing great but then last time we went to the dr. he said he seemed a little behind. One of the doctors says he great and one says he might benefit from early steps....so its hard to say.

    I would love to just have them come out just in case....I suppose i could just go get him evaluated again! It was just an hour long drive for us and I was a little dissapointed that the tests didnt actually require him to talk at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks, I know my sister found that peacoat and I love it too! Well, we took Maddy for the first time to Early Steps when she was about 21 months what they call a "screener" she passed the screener as well but mainly like you said they looked at her receptive langauge and NOT the expressive. They recommended that we bring her back at 2 if she still seemed behind because at 2 they do a FULL evaluation which tests expressive and receptive. Sooo.... we are all set to go on Tuesday. I hope that she qualifies but even if she doesn't we are planning to start her on speech/language therapy with a place on our insurance but it will probably be about $40 a visit. I asked the dr. and she said she would recommend doing this if Maddy didnt qualify since the age from 2-3 is really critical in language devleopment.

    The doctor told us that she should have a vocabulary of about 5o words and should be using 2-3 word phrases. As of now she has about 25 words that she uses consistently and for 2-3 word phrases she only says, "Bye-bye, I want that, love you, and all done. I will keep you updated about what we find out! It can be really aggrivating when as a Mom you know your child needs help with something and they dont qualify!

    ReplyDelete