Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Blessings!

I want to start my post about Christmas by sharing something that my Mom read on Christmas morning at my Grandma Ford's house before our meal. Most of you know that my Grandpa was in the Navy for 30 years. During his time in the Navy he served in Vietnam. This is a letter that my Mom found that he sent during his time in Vietnam. I dont think that it was a coincedence that my Mom came across this on Christmas Eve. The words towards the end sound like they could have been coming from him from Heaven and it gave me so much peace (along with tears) when I heard them.

December 18, 1966

Dearest Children,

How are all of my Bovers this day ? Sorry I cannot write each of you a separate letter but we have been so busy so hope this will do.

Sandy, remember how when I left you said you were not going to count months but divide them into thirds, well 2/3 are gone and we are on that last 1/3 how about that ?

Di, I bet you giggle just like you did last year - Do you think I can still bring goose bumps on you by my fingernails over you ? I am going to try.

Darlene, I just know you and ole Tom are just having a ball in the snow. Does your nose get cold when you go to school ? Do you walk by yourself ?

Tom, In a few days Christmas will be here and I bet you really tear into those packages this year. Hope Mommie takes pictures of you all.

I told Mommie I was gonna rock you all when I get home. Anyone think they are too big ? Including mommie You think she is too big ?

Well, Guess this will be the last letter till after Christmas, remember what I said before, we are all sad we have to be separated - but - Your Pops is fine and our family will again soon be reunited and I want you all to be happy & not sad. Have fun and enjoy yourselves and we will have another Christmas in April, OK ?

All my love to the best children in the world, you make your Dad so very proud.

Dad

I find comfort in knowing that we will have another Christmas together one day in Heaven.
I am trying to find a scanner so I can scan the actual handwritten letter that my Mom has.

2 comments:

  1. having a balling moment reading this...

    Grandpa Ford is so special... I love those little messages from Heaven...

    xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete