Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Early Steps

So today Maddy had her appointment with Early Steps. It was for a pre-screening to see if she needed any speech/language therapy. I wanted her evaluated because I just felt that she isn't saying as many words as she should be at this time. She knows about 10-15 words. When she wants something she is most often doing the.... ugh....ugh.... to try and show what she wants. Well, I was pretty sure that she would qualify for it and then they would send a therapsit to the house once a week to work with her. Well.... they said that for right now she doesn't need it. = (

I know I should be excited that they think she is doing well with her language but as her Mommy I am the only who sees her frustration daily when she wants something and cannot tell me what it is she wants! She mainly didn't qualify because her receptive languge skills (understanding and comprehending things) is GREAT!!! If you tell her to get something or do something she understands completely so she was mastering all that stuff but it's just the expressive part that she struggles with (actually speaking). They said that they can go ahead and do the formal evaluation now that goes more in depth to see if she qualifies but they suggest waiting until she is 2, which is 3 months from now and having her do the formal evaluation. And in the meantime they gave me a book of activites and things to work with her on. So..... trying to decide what to do!!! I am leaning towards waiting the 3 months but I dont know! Argh!!!


On a positive note I was SOOOO proud of Maddy today with the screening she did so good and was such a little cutie performing all the tasks like, Go get the baby doll and bring it to me, stacking blocks, sitting in the chair to read a book, just lost of stuff! Every time she would do something she would look over her shoulder at me and give the cutest little grin! Too bad I didn't have the camera with me! She is such a blessing who knew you could love someone so much!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. hi, im adding you. I just went though this too and posted about it on the BBC board. Same thing, they only evaluate the comp skills right now and not actually speaking although they admitted it was concerning (and it was the reason why the peditrician refered us there anyhow!) for him not to be speaking. He is doing better since. Like many others have said, its between 18-24 months and it usually takes off, so id wait till then and see where she is at but for sure by then have bring her back if she isnt speaking a lot more and more clearly. thats out plan too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops i meant thats "our" plan too. I had to go cause my LO was yelling "poo-poo"...thats one word Im so thankful he started saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! It's great to hear from another Mom who is goinn through the same thing!!! I am getting ready to go check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete