Friday, October 2, 2009

One sheet is not enough

So today I went with my Mom, Dad, and Grandma to meet with our Pastor Dana. He wanted to meet with some of the family to talk about Grandpa and what type of man he was, to share memories and feelings for the service. So we sat down and Pastor had one sheet of paper in front of him and a pen. At first I wondered what it was for. We began talking about Grandpa and as we told him about things he wrote a few notes on the sheet. While he was writing I was thinking to myself, "How in the world is he going to fit ALL the wonderful things about my Grandpa on a single sheet of paper?" Grandpa is more than just a sheet of memories on paper.

He is the glue of the family, the one who always made sure that family came first, he is the one who taught me how to drive, the one who took me splashing in the mud puddles and made me "drippy eggs", the one who let me jump on the bed when I stayed the night and took me swimming in the pool when it was still way to cold to go swimming! The one who always snuck me a lick of icing before the cake was cut and made me cheese houses! The one who always had time for me when I came over, it didn't matter what he was doing when the Grandkids came over he stopped what he was doing and just spent time with us. No, a single sheet of paper is not enough! Not even close! A whole BOOK is not even enough! My Grandpa was such an amazing man that no-one can ever truly know the depth of this unless they knew him. Missing you so much Grandpa, give Tyler a kiss for me!

2 comments:

  1. Reading this brought tears to my eyes! I am praying that you will always be able to treasure those wonderful memories of your Grandpa! Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Candace-
    No. A sheet of paper can never go far enough to describe the love between him and his family, but you did a nice job of highlighting many of the ways love was expressed. God's blessings and comfort as you grieve along with all the family.
    Love and prayers,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete